Sausages and mash potato (or bangers and mash as Australians and the English call it) is such a classic meal! It takes me back to when I was a kid and Mum would cook this for us on a really cold day.
I do yoga on Monday nights so Alex has to cook and it’s so nice to come home to find dinner cooked as I am STARVING! (Imagine: Hungry Monster)
The trick to this meal is getting good sausages (I love Italian Pork) and I just cook them by frying in a pan, but you can also cook them on a tray in the oven. We had carrots and corn for vegetables but you can choose what ever your heart desires. The most important part of the meal (to me) is the mash, I love it to be smooth and buttery, as you will see below.
CREAMY MASHED POTATOES
2 large potatoes or 4 small ones
Salt and Pepper
- Wash the potatoes, chop them in half and then put them in a large saucepan
- Cover the potatoes in water, add and pinch of salt
- Bring to the boil and then let them simmer until they are soft (break apart when prodded with a fork)
- Transfer into a sieve or colander and wash with hot water (NOTE: This is important as you want to remove any starch, otherwise you mashed potatoes will have the texture of glue, which is gross!)
- Transfer back into the saucepan and add a good amount of milk (At least half a cup) and a lot of butter (I’m talking 3 tablespoons and upwards)
- Mash like crazy with a potato masher until you arm hurts and there are no more lumps
- Add a dash of garlic powder, some salt and pepper to taste, mix again and you are done.
Please note that this picture was not of my meal, I got it from here